In the following video, you will see 5 things you should be able to do if you have adequate strength in your glutes. The following video thoroughly shows these exercises or stretches and will help you fix weak glutes. Work on these and you’ll be a stronger and likely an injury free runner.
Glutes tend to be one of the runner’s weakest muscles. You may be preforming squats and deadlifts, but they just won’t be enough. You should get into a routine where you complete each of the following exercises. The incentive is that you don’t get as much power or speed if you have weak glutes.
Following is a summary to help you speed through some of the highlights.
1:33 – Activation Test
3:11 – Lunge Test
4:41 – Bridge Test
6:42 – Low Back Pain Test
1) Down on the ground, hands and knees. Extend one leg back and squeeze your leg up towards the ceiling.
Same as (1), but bend the knee and lift up towards the ceiling. Need to feel contraction in the glute.
2) Weighted lunge. Stay in control and don’t sway. Take one dumbbell and double up weight for 3-4 reps and do it
3) Bridge Test – left hips as high as you can (straight line between quads and torso). Do not want to feel cramping in hamstrings. Lift bent left leg off ground. Need to see if your hamstrings are cramping
4) Back pain – pain in pinpoint spot can be a sign that your glute medius is weak
5) Ab exercise – squeeze your glutes to keep legs up and out.
Please let me know if you have any questions.